Ugg was pulled from Newport Animal Control because they deemed him most unlikely to be adopted, therefore most likely to be put down. He’s an affectionate boy, he just needs to learn some manners.
Last updated: Nov 9, 2018
- Arrival date: Aug. 27, 2018
- Breed: Great Dane mix
- Sex: Male
- Age: Young,
Adult, Mature, Senior
- Weight: @80 pounds
- Spay/Neutered: Yes
- General Health: Excellent
- Temperament: Generally submissive. Calm when in kennel or crate. Gets playful when released, but is doing much better at controlling his exuberance.
- Gets Along with Dogs: Yes: as long as the other dog does not get scared of his size and become defensive. Ugg is not at all aggressive, but his play can intimidate smaller dogs who can get defensively aggressive toward him.
- Gets Along with People: Yes, he loves being with people, especially getting a belly rub. Likes to play fetch and tug.
- Housebroken/Crate Trained: Partially (see Progress Notes: Oct 1)
- Departure date: Nov. 9th, 2018
Picked up as a stray by Newport Animal Control. Adopted out, brought right back because he ate their house. He needs to learn self control. Basically he’s a BIG puppy.
Known Issues & Progress
I was told he was unwalkable because he pulls like a John Deere. A front-clip harness brought that to an end and I had him walking laps in the yard with me the evening of his first day. Since then he just gets better at it.
He likes to “mouth”: We have that under control now. When excited he may forget and start to mouth, but a simple, stern “no!” stops it.
He liked to jump up and paw me: That is now under control. Instead he rolls over on my feet for a belly rub or sits at me feet and leans back against my legs so I can scratch his chest while he licks my arm (see video below).
He likes to chew things, like his brand new Kuranda bed. He’s a puppy. Puppies do that. I’m trying to teach him to chew appropriate things like toys and pigs feet (preferably those that are no longer attached to a pig).
With funds donated by a kind supporter, we bought Ugg an aluminum Kuranda. That has stood up well and he likes laying on that. He never did actually lay on the PVC framed bed. (See Progress Notes 9/19)
- DA2PP: August 20, 2018 (N.A.C.)
- Bordatella: August 20, 2018 (N.A.C)
- Wormed: Aug. 28, 29, 30 2018 – Fendbendazole, 12 ml (P.M.F.C.)
- Rabies: Aug 13, 2018 Wt: 56# (Cedarwood), Sept 12 (Claws & Paws)
- Spay/Neuter: October 5, 2018
- Flea/Tick preventative: Sept 13, Oct 5,
- Heartworm preventative: Sept 13,
- Heartworm Test: Sept 12 (negative)
In roughly chronological order, newest at the bottom. Click the thumbnails to enlarge. Some pictures are linked to Doggy Tales or videos about Ugg, click those to open the related story or video.
|If you enjoy our updates, Doggy Tales, and educational articles consider subscribing for notices when new pieces are posted. It’s painless and you can unsubscribe any time you want. Your e-mail address is used ONLY to deliver these notices.||